As an early Christmas gift we are today proud to present Neon – release Chakra!
Since the previous release we have worked hard with all the feedback we have received to fine-tune the existing functionality as well as adding new features. A big thank goes out to our testers that as always have helped us a lot to fine-tune this release.
Primary goals with release Chakra
- Correction of reported bugs and fine-tuning of features related to feedback
- Implementation of a first version of the Music explorer view.
- Creation of a new spreadsheet based Tag editor with support for all tag-fields
- Implement a tool to convert files to different file formats whilst preserving tag information
- Implement a tool to split files based on CUE files, sub-track information or manual data. The tool should optionally be able to convert the resulting files to another audio format.
- Create a Now playing pane which can show more information about the playing track. This first version supports lyrics with basic HTML formatting.
- Downloading of album pictures with the available plug-ins, the end-user should be able to select which specific resulting picture he/she would like to apply.
- Create an optional filter for the artists view which will allow end-users to show all artists or only album artists.
- Extend the information about a specific artists releases, splitting them into two different tabs, Discography and Appearances. The presentation should be grouped by release type-
- Implementation of some of the more common options in an Options view to allow easier and wider configuration of the Neon.
- Expose more and configurable columns for track lists (Music explorer, Playlists view and Tracks view)
- Implement a landing page for Statistics with drill-down information for a specific day
- Implement supports for calculating Bpm (Beats per minute) automatically and manually from both tag editors.
Worth to mention is that we have also worked hard on performance optimizations, added automatic replay gain support in the player and refined a lot of the user interface and the user experience flow.
What’s not included in this version
A lot of new features are implemented as you can see, but template editors, full customization of tools/view are not yet in place since we are still working on our core functions. The tag editor does not yet support the album mode, but this is planned for our next release.
If you miss a specific feature/configuration or such, please let us know!
For our next release, Deedrah, we plan to implement these functions:
- Subtrack editing
- The album mode in the Tag editor
- A first version of web services
- A first version of the File rename wizard
- Advanced search
- A Discogs plug-in
Download and installation
Before installing this version, be sure to uninstall your previous version and delete your old settings files. The settings files can be found under C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Imploded Software\Helium. Simply delete all entries in this folder before installing the new release.
Helium Streamer 3
The work on Helium Streamer 3 is ongoing as well. The following new features can be used in this release:
- Multiple user support.
- Playing tracks now saves playing history and reports progress to Last.fm if enabled from Neon.
- Rating of tracks can be done from the player.
- Setting favourite on tracks can be done from the player.
- Transcoding of FLAC and OGG is now enabled. You will need to change the user which the Windows Service (Helium Streamer) is running under to an account with access to the files.
- Persistance of play queue between sessions.
We have also made good progress on some features that will be released in an upcoming version of the Helium Streamer. This includes the creation of a database and adding of files without the need to run Helium. Since the Streamer runs as a service this means that your database can always be up-to-date if you allow background updating of your library from the Streamer. It also allows for stand-alone installations of the Streamer which can be interesting for new users who may not need or want Helium at first.
Download and installation
Before installing this version, be sure to uninstall your previous version and make sure that the folder at C:\Program Files (x86)\Imploded Software\Helium Streamer is emptied. It’s important to reboot the computer before installing the new release since the Windows Service that Helium Streamer uses can only be uninstalled upon a reboot.